On occasion, troubleshooting Office for Windows may require the comprehesive removal of the software so a completey new installation can be performed.
To completely remove Office for Windows, perform the following steps. You will need an Administrator account to perform many of the tasks below. It is also recommended that your documents have been saved to OneDrive or SharePoint locations and that your mail has completed syncing items to your mailbox before starting.
Step 1: Download and run the Office Scrub tool
|WARNING: Make sure you have a copy of your Office installation key - or make sure you know the Microsoft Personal Account that your Office installation key is assigned to - before proceeding.
If you remove Office 2013, Office 2016, Office 2019 or Office 2022, you will need to know this to reinstall Office later.
If you use Microsoft 365, you do not need an Office installation key. Your Microsoft 365 Work or School Account will confirm your license and apply it on the reinstalled Office Apps.
- Visit the following link to download the lastest version of the SetupProd_OffScrub.exe file and follow the steps listed to remove Office for Windows.
Uninstall Office automatically
NOTE: You may need to run the Office Scrub tool multiple times to remove different versions of Office that have been installed over time on a Windows device.
- Do not proceed to install Office yet.
Step 2: Repair Windows system files
If you previously installed version of Office Apps tended to crash, use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupt Windows files.
- Visting the following link to run through come commands to check and restore any potential issues with Windows system files.
Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files
- When complete, reboot your computer.
Step 3: Install the latest version of Office for Windows
- If your copy of Microsoft Office is tied to a Microsoft Personal Account, visit https://setup.office.com/ and sign-in to download the latest copy of Office for your version.
- If you use Microsoft 365, visit https://portal.office.com/account#installs and sign-in to download the latest copy of Office Apps for Business/Enterprise.